Monday, December 9, 2013

Flour, yeast, salt, water and PFOA?

Over years I have favoured non-stick cookware.  Supposedly easy to clean (for the first few uses anyway) and I thought buying upper end non stick would last longer and have less of the toxins I had started to hear about - not so.

After reading an article I dug a little deeper to into non-stick cookware and the upper end brands I was currently using - and it's not good.  I won't repeat too much of what I read, because you can look it up for yourself if you're interested, just do a search for non-stock chemicals or non stick carcinogens.

What really worries me is being a bread baker, I frequently have my oven set at max for chewy artisan style crusts.  This is exactly the kind of thing that can release carcinogens like PFOA from non-stick cookware.  With my upper end non-stock loaf pans showing signs of ware with bits of coating coming off I've decided to retire them - and never go back.



That's I am excited that these beauties arrived today from Amazon - my Christmas present.  They are 18/8 stainless steel with no coating that will peel away and the are punched and molded with no rolled edges or folds, so they'll be a breeze to clean.  Best of all, I will never have to spend another penny replacing peeled and very anti-non-stick tins.  And I can use them for anything else you'd put in a large loaf pan, a roast chock, banana bread, date loaf, lemon loaf, meat loaf.....
Another thing, have you put oil on a non stick pan and found a sticky coating left on after baking, which is impossible to remove - unless you got a wool scrubber out - which you can't use on non-stick?  Well no issues with that here, I can give these a good scrub if I need to with no worries - except the flawless polish, but that doesn't bother me, these are going to be some very hard working pans.  They were not cheap but I think our health is worth it and they are a lifetime investment.

I'm off the wash and season my new pans and get some bread made (I'll explain how to season your stainless steel next time - I need to get baking).

And if you're wondering why I need six, it's so I can bake 2 batches of bread right after one another and cut down baking to every 6 to 7 days, which will save power and time (which I don't seem to have a lot of at the moment with an 18 month old explorer/adventurer)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers