Thursday, August 14, 2014

Potato and Chorizo Frittata

As I sit all the lights in our house are flickering from the storm outside.  I'm hoping that we don't get a power cut!  I went the bed last night wondering if my beans and chicken would survive the storm - I will see when the sun rises.

With spring on the way my chickens are laying more reliably so quick, easy and cheap (cheep?) egg dinners are on the menu nearly twice a week.  A couple of weeks ago I snapped up our favourite chorizos at a bargain price (I usually get one for $4-5 but on special I got 6 for that price - I would have got more but that's all they had left).  Chorizo are great, if you get good quality ones they go a long way to jazz up a meal, be it a risotto, pilaf, soup, salad or frittata.

This tasty meal was a bargain, with home grown coriander and lemon, and eggs from my hens it cost about $4.  For a dinner party version swap the milk for cream and stir crumbled feta in with the chorizo.


Potato and Chorizo Frittata Recipe
Serves 6

4 medium potatoes, scrubbed and diced to 1cm (about 350-400g)
1 Large Onion, peeled and diced
4T Olive Oil
8 Eggs
½C Milk
1t Salt
Pinch of Pepper
Few sprigs of Thyme or Tarragon
1 or 2 Chorizo, diced (I used one because I'm cheap)
Handful of coriander
Lemon Wedges to serve

Pre-heat oven to 180°C bake.
Bring a pan of water to the boil, drop in diced potato and cook for 5 minutes or until just tender.  Drain well.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat and sauté onion till clear.  Set aside.
In a large bowl whisk eggs, salt, pepper and milk.  Add in potato, onion, herbs and chorizo.
Heat at 25cm pan oven proof pan over medium high heat (use the pan from frying the onion if it's oven proof).  Add remaining oil and when hot pour in the egg mixture.  Transfer to the oven and cook for 25-35 minutes until set in the middle.  Leave for 10 minutes before cutting.
Sprinkle with coriander and serve with generous wedges of lemon - the lemon brings the whole things together, trust me.

Serve up with salad or greens, we enjoyed ours with a mountain of steamed broccoli with a dressing of lemon juice.

Loads of fresh broccoli spears from the garden - from garden to plate in 10 minutes, sweet and delicious

1 comment:

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers