Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mothers Day : Fruit Bread

One of our favourites in my no knead bread.  It stays moist and fresh for days, makes wonderful sandwhiches and even better toast.

With Mothers Day coming up I very happily rigged what I would get for breakfast - fruit toast - something I ador!  I adapted the no knead recipe and the result was perfect, I think it even tastes better than shop brought stuff.  So with the fire roaring, tea in hand and hot buttered fruit toast I was one happy Mumma on Mothers Day.



No Knead Fruit Bread
Makes 2 Loaves

1L Warm Water
15g Yeast
500g High Grade Flour
350g Wholemeal Flour
2t Salt
100g Sugar
3T Cocoa Powder
1C Sultanas
½C Currents (or more sultanas)
2t Cinnamon
2t All Spice
½t Ground Cloves
1t Ginger Powder

Pre-heat oven to 50C on standard bake if you have it - you will use fan bake later.
Stir together water and yeast and allow to stand for 10 minutes.  Meanwhile boil the kettle and generously oil 2 loaf tins (or line with baking paper).  When yeast is activated and foamy stir in remaining ingredients.  Give a good mix - about 30 stirs will do.  Divide batter between the 2 tins and put into warmed oven alongside a bowl of boiled water (the steam will stop the tops of the loaves drying out while rising).  Leave to rise for 20 to 30 minutes until the batter looks like it is just about to spill over the sides of the tin.  Gently open the door and remove hot water - do not slam the oven door or your loaves will deflate.  Turn oven up to 200C and switch to fanbake.  Bake for 45 minutes.  Remove from oven and leave loaves in their tins for 20 minutes and then gently ease into cooling rack.  Allow to cool completely before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers