Friday, February 7, 2014

Boston Baked Beans

This recipe is one of my favourites for beans.  The original recipe called for loads of brown sugar and molasses which we found too sweet, so half halved the sugar and use golden syrup (my reason being that golden syrup his half way between molasses and brown sugar, I know it's not though).  When I made this the other day it disappeared in a flash, Mr 1 and Mr 3 devoured it, it blows anything you get in a can completely out of the water!

I have made it without bacon and it's still really good if you want to go vegetarian, try adding 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika to get that smokey flavour.

Boston Baked Beans
Serves 6


2 Cups Haricot or Pinto Beans
1T Oil
1 Large Onion, Diced
250g Bacon, Diced (or 1/2t Smoked Paprika)
1/2t Salt
1/2t Pepper
1/4t Mustard Powder
1/2C Tomato Sauce
1T Worcestershire Sauce
3T Golden Syrup

 Soak beans over night.  The next day rinse and drain well, cover with 2cm of water and gently simmer for 1 to 2 hours until the beans are tender.  They should hold their shape but should easily be able to squish one with your fingers, I find tasting one is the the easiest way to check. Strain the beans but don't throw away the cooking liquid!


Heat oven to 160C bake.  In an oven proof pan heat the oil over a medium heat.  Gently cook onion and bacon until onion is transparent.  Add in the salt, pepper, mustard, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, golden syrup and the drained beans.  Add in enough of the bean cooking liquid to cover, if there's no enough liquid then add some water or stock.  Cover pan and bake for 3-4 hours.  Serve with toast, rice or mash with vege or salad, maybe even a sprinkle of cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. Did you use store bought tomato sauce or make your own? I hate how much sugar is in canned baked beans. Mx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it with store brought stuff - the last of it. The next batch I made I just used plain old tinned chopped tomatoes and no one noticed the different. Planned on making my own tomato sauce for the year ahead but my crop has kind of failed. I have beautiful apples ripening up on my tree that pulp up like magic, so I could always transform some tinned toms into homemade sauce with those apple and spices.

      Delete

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers