Thursday, February 6, 2014

Busy Busy Busy: Coconut Chicken Curry

My poor blog has been a bit neglected lately. If I haven't been away with family I have been busy.  We acquired 9 more roosters recently from one of my blog readers who lives in the city (Thank you), my garden is producing loads of veges and some serious weeding has been done.  I've also been laying mock paths around our garden with all the loose bricks we have around here.  We are in serious need of paths to and from the house, vege garden, chicken runs and under the washing line, I have run patches of the grass bare, it's not pretty.

 Last weekend we dispatched one of our 12 week old roosters.  I will spare the queasy details for my 'townie' friends but I can assure you it was a quick end.  Once dispatched the bird was swirled around in 80C water to loosen the feathers, plucked, gutted and quatered ready for the pot.  You'll have to forgive me forgetting to take an after shot, the curry was so good it was gobbled up before I even had a chance to think of getting the camera.

Coconut Chicken Curry

1 Rooster, quartered (or free range chicken)
2T Oil
1 Onion, cut into Wedges
4 Cloves Garlic, crushed
3T Curry Powder
Pinch Cayenne Pepper (optional)
1 Tin diced tomatoes
1 Tin Coconut Cream
Salt and Pepper to taste

Set oven to 140C Bake.  Heat oil on stove top in oven proof dish over med-high heat.  Brown the rooster quarters and then put to the side.  Turn heat down a little and begin to brown onions, adding a little more oil if you need to.  Once onions are nearly done add in the garlic, curry power and cayenne.  When fragrant put the rooster back in along with the tin of tomatoes, coconut cream and a couple of pinches of salt and pepper.  Add a little water to make sure the meat is covered.  Cover your pan to transfer to the oven, cook for 4-6 hours, checking the liquid level and turning the meat every hour or so.  Serve with rotis, rice and veges.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers