Sunday, February 1, 2015

Herb and Spice Garden Pasta

This summer I am having much better luck with my tomatoes.  Last year I was plagued with blossom end rot and tasteless tomatoes.  At the weekend I had half dozen large ripe tomatoes so with half a bag of pasta and a bunch of spinach I invented something for lunch.

I wasn't sure about putting basil with the Mexican type spice base but it worked well.



Herb and Spice Garden Pasta Recipe
Serves 4

1T Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, Diced
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
2t Paprika
2t Smoked Paprika
2t Oregano
¼t Cayenne Pepper
6 Large Tomatoes, Chopped
250g Wholemeal Pasta (Penne)
Salt and Pepper
2C Spinach, Chopped
Handful Basil Leaves, Torn

Grate Cheese to Serve

In a large pan heat olive oil over medium-high heat.  Cook onions until soft.  Add in garlic and spices and cook for a minute or 2 (add a little splash of water if the spices start to stick to the pan).  Add tomatoes and cook until softened.  Add in pasta and 2 cups of warm water, season with salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil then reduce to a gentle simmer and cover for 15 minutes (check after 10 minutes and add a little more water if needed).  Remove lid, stir through spinach and cook for 5 minutes longer until pasta is tender and sauce is reduced.  Stir through basil and serve with a sprinkle of grated cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers