Monday, November 11, 2013

Butter Milk

I come across quite a few recipes needing buttermilk.  Its acidity helps activate rising agents, keeping baking moist and adds a delicious tang to buttermilk pancakes (I'll post recipe next time I make them).

Here's is how I make my buttermilk alternative, it only takes 5 minutes.  I use powdered milk and it still works fine.

Buttermilk

1T Lemon Juice or Vinegar
Almost 1C Milk

Put juice into measuring jug, top up with milk to measure 1 cup.  Leave at room temperature for 5-10 minutes.  You now have butter milk.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great idea. I often use watered down yoghurt as well. Just discovered your blog and it's a joy to read. I thought your crumpets looked better than the original recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers