Sunday, November 10, 2013

There's Cracks in Them Thar Eggs!

I didn't get Emmy Lou out of the brooder box today for her walk around the garden - her chicks are due very soon so I didn't want to take her away from her babies (I've heard her talking to them for a day or 2, they mustn't be far away).  As dusk was setting in I thought I'd give her a quick look over and offer her food.  After she turned up her nose at her food bowl I went to put her back on her eggs - and there are CRACKS!  Yay, some little babies should emerge by the morning.  So exciting!

Pappa Bear came home with chick raising food today so I'll put some in the run so they have tucker if they come out of the box in the morning.  I've also left some radicchio leaves and barley for Emmy Lou, I'm sure she'll be ready for a feast when she can leave the nest for longer.

I'll be keeping an ear out for peeps in the morning.

I mustn't get too excited or attached though, these birds are destined for the table.

Sorry Emmy Lou - we're gonna eat your (adopted) babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers