Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Spring Rain

I may not appreciate the spring extremes of super hot and cold rainy days but my garden sure does.  Everything is looking healthy and growing so fast I can barely keep up with pinching out sideways growth and training vines and tomatoes up stakes.
 
Kale, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Iceberg Lettuce, Spring Onions and Oregano - with old nesting box bedding as mulch.

My cucumbers, tomatoes and zucchinis all have tiny little fruit starting to form, seeds are striking  with very little encouragement and I'm sure that the white cabbage butterflies are being snapped up by the chickens before they can get to my tender young kale, broccoli and cauliflower.

  After taking my boys to the local doctors office this morning for a checkup and immunisations, then fueling up at the cafe with hot chocolates, we headed home to do some seed sowing.  I've set myself up a table in the corner of our carport to do my potting - which is an excellent spot out of the heavy spring rain.  Today I planted sunflower, zucchini, chives, lemongrass seeds and moved the marigolds that Mr 3 planted in my lettuce only poly-garden to my watering-can door stop.

Runner Beans reaching for the sky

Old watering can turned into a planting/door stop

This garden is the best I have every grown.  Beautiful sweet LIVE lettuces, copious amounts of spinach and spring onions and the occasional radish and Asian vegetables.  I'm loving it.  We're slowly spending less and less at the green grocer to reflect the increased productivity of the garden.  And even better, I know where everything has come from and it is all spray free.

Poly-gardens - the first one has been mostly harvested with new seeds planted this week - the second box is ready to go
 The chicks are growing at an amazing speed - they pretty much double in size each week.  Emmy Lou is doing a fantastic job and the chicks are wondering father and father from her side as they grow and gain confidence.  Loving our little bit of the good life.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers