Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Eight out of Eleven

We finished off yesterday with 9 chicks hatching, one of which died, and last 2 Eggs still showing no signs on life.  This morning Emmy Lou brought her now dry and very hungry 8 chicks out into her brood run.  She is showing them what's good to eat while sitting very close to the ground so they can pop underneath her for warmth.

 
Sadly she left the last 2 eggs to go cold.  I brought them inside and shone a light through them (called candling).  One was completely transparent, no embryo, so had not developed at all, I carefully put this one in the middle of our rubbish sack outside - it will stink if it cracks I'm sure.  I had a suspicion that one of the eggs had gone bad - for the last few days when I lifted Emmy Lou for exercise there was a very slight rotten egg smell in the nest.  The other was dark - I wondered if the chick had died from Emmy Lou leaving it to get cold?  I gently cracked open the stone cold egg and found a nearly fully developed chick, my uneducated guess would say it died about a week ago.  I think Emmy Lou knew these 2 eggs wouldn't hatch so she'd moved to her focus to the hungry mouths she has to feed.  Good girl.

6 Yellow Chicks and 1 Brown


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers