Monday, May 19, 2014

Eating well with $130 per week - Week 2

$108 this week - with a few party supplies in the mix
This is my second post on shopping with $130 per week.  For week 2 my shopping trolley was on the expensive side (but still within budget).  With nappies, milk power, cheese and a few party things on the list I spent more than I have in a while.  Popcorn is a regular in our pantry, I can whip up a potful in 5 minutes.  A batch can last a few days for morning and afternoon teas with fruit and maybe a slice of cheese or natural yoghurt, cheap and easy, just like me, but in a good way!!

We are lucky enough to still have fiejoas in the garden which is adding to our fruit bowl and my kale and broccoli plants are still growing really well, adding greens to our plate.  Here's the breakdown of this weeks spend:

Green Grocer $21
Grapes
Cabbage
Brussel Sprouts
Mushrooms
Garlic
Onions
Mandarin
Carrots
Persimmons

Countdown $87
Toilet Paper
Tin Tomatoes
Brown Sugar
Popping Corn
Rolled Oats
Potato Chips x 2
Cocoa Powder
Sweets x 2 Bags
Sunflower Oil
Nappies
Toothpaste
High Grade Bread Flour
Cheese
Skim Milk Powder

I came home to the house smelly really good - I'd forgotten that I have beef stock bubbling away on the stove.  I got one lot of stock in the freezer yesterday and this is the second boil down today (how thrifty am I, 2 lots of stock from 1 set of bones!).  The very last bit from our home kill cow was a half bag of bones, so yesterday I roasted them and then simmered them with onion, carrot, salt and pepper for about 6 hours.  After straining off the beef stock I'm doing the same again today.  I froze 7 litres of stock yesterday and will probably get about 5 today.  Shop brought stock is about $4.50 a litre, to buy what I've made it would be over $50, I've made mine for about $5.  It's going to add flavour to soups, casseroles, rice dishes and many more recipes over the cooler months.

I've just peeped outside and the sun has appeared so it's time finish blogging and get gardening!

Roasted Beef Bones

Stock, stock and more stock - ready to freeze

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers