Thursday, May 15, 2014

In Case of Emergency : Grab a Tin Opener

Days like yesterday are why I always try to have a tin of beans or homemade beans in the freezer.

The day started out great, went for a walk around town, got all the washing done and made a start on my new composting bins.  Unfortunately, Mr 3 was suffering the effects of an ear infection and Mr 2 is cutting 2 eye teeth (the worst kind), so the afternoon was filled with tears a few tantrums (Mummy may have had bit of a tantrum too).  With all that going on, plus, a visit to the doctor, me having a mild asthma attack, coming home to the dog getting into a nappy that I'd abondoned when rushing out the door, I forgot to put our roast on for dinner.  Bummer!  My lovely neighbours must have seen I was at my wits end - I must have looked pretty frazzled - I sure felt like it.  They offered me a drink while my kids played with theirs to take time out for a few minutes.

Before I knew it, it was 5:30pm and dinner time.  Luckily I have beans from my shopping trip, so in 10 minutes I had toast, beans and eggs ready for hungry tired boys.  I have only brought fish fingers once for my boys for a quick dinner - they're gross, added with extras and really expensive considering only half is fish - which has been 'joined' or glued together - ICK!  I won't even touch chicken nuggets - 26 ingredients and only 39% chicken.  I think beans are the way to go in a pinch, ideally I'd have some in the freezer, homemade with no numbered ingredients, but out of a tin 79% is beans and tomatoes, the rest is water, spices, onion, vinegar, and maize flour (corn flour) for thickening, great, and 2 vegetable gums, one of them is not so great (that's a whole other blog post).

We ended up with both boys in bed early then Pappa Bear and I flopped down in front of the telly with a movie.  We enjoyed homemade pasta from the freezer, topped with salmon (tinned) and herb white sauce with peas.  Both meals together cost about $8.50 - a little on the high end for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers