Friday, May 30, 2014

Eating well with $130 per week - Week 3

This week has been a little out of the ordinary, Mr 1 has cut down his naps and I've been suffering from a toothache.  Dinners haven't been over exciting and leaving the house some days just seemed impossible.

My usual Tuesday shopping was delayed till we were forced to go out on Thursday evening, after dinner, when the green grocer was shut.  I selected the cheapest fruit and vege I could find at the supermarket - the prices are crazy!  Fruit is about 30 - 40% more expensive than the green grocer and veges twice as expensive, and not nearly as nice or as fresh as what I usually get.  I still had money pocketed from under-spending over the last 2 weeks, so no real harm done.

I also needed a few things from the bulk store in town - the budget is $30 and we spent $20, on baking soda, spelt and rye flours (to add a bit of variety to our loaves) and spices.  I highly recommend finding a bulk store, especially if you like making curries.  I get spices for a quarter of the price as the super market.



Here's the breakdown of this weeks spend:

Countdown $123
Mushrooms
Bananas
Kiwifruit
Mandarins
Apples
Pears
Onions
Carrots
Broccoli
Tinned Tomatoes
Golden Syrup
Coffee
Cheese
Nappies
Milk Powder
Mayonnaise
Yeast
Crackers
Tissues
Dishwasher Powder
Butter x 2
Bread Flour
Baking Powder
Deodorant
Crackers

I never usually by mayonnaise, I make up a jar every now and then for Pappa Bear to use on lunches, made from oil and eggs.  I've been having trouble with the mayo splitting lately though, I think it's got to do with ingredients being so cold, so I brought a back up.

Our menu this week was:

Monday: Sweet Braised Pork

Tuesday: Homemade Pizza with homemade tomato sauce, onion, mushrooms and cheese

Wednesday: Hot chips - this is the day my toothache hit, I thought I was getting sick and felt wiped out by 4pm.  A night off from cooking with a few dollars hot chips and an early night were in order.  I really need to get some meals in the freezer that we can 'heat and eat' on nights like that.

Thursday: Pasta with left over tomato sauce from pizza on Tuesday and left over pumpkin soup from lunch

Friday: Pulled Pork, Slaw and Ciabatta - I know we just had this a little while ago but I wanted to share it with my sister/brother in law for dinner


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers