Thursday, October 24, 2013

Brooder Box

Poor Emmy Lou!

With Emmy Lou taking up one of only two nesting boxes our other layers were getting a bit desperate.  Twice I went to collect eggs and found one of the layers trying to get in with Emmy Lou to lay - despite her growls and raised hackles - bird brains I tell ya!

My husband and I set about making her a brooding box and run - quick smart.  We didn't want any more eggs broken or Emmy Lou to get frustrated and not want to sit anymore (our youngest hen was having a practice at nesting the other morning while Emmy Lou was eating - kicked one egg out of the nest and broke another).

We searched through the off-cuts of in our wood pile and put together a plan which included an old kennel our dog has never used (she is an inside city dog - I don't think that will ever change).  It took three evenings after the kids were in bed to finish.  By the cover of darkness last night, we moved Emmy Lou to her new accommodation.  I lifted her gently and Pappa Bear arranged the eggs into the transformed beer crate.  She was eager to get back to her eggs so settled down onto them and in her new little house like a dream.
 

I have seen her twice today, she stretches her wings, tells off the other curious hens hanging around outside, eats, drinks then goes back to the business of sitting on her eggs.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers