Monday, October 28, 2013

Busy Weekend

With the weather improving I haven't had much time to post lately - I'm spending quite a bit of time in the garden.

Since my last post we had an awesome long Labour weekend - the highlight was our Free Range Foodie Saturday lunch based around my new Annabel Langbein - A Free Range Life cook book.  The weather was stunning, the food we easy and delicious, and best of all, we had lots of family visit.  Here are photos from the day.

On Sunday my sister-in-law and I went to a poultry farm to collect eggs for her broody hen.  She selected Sussex Light and Australorp, good multi-purpose birds - eggs and meat.  If both our hens sit well over the next 3 weeks we should both have fluffy chicks to keep an eye on over the Christmas period.

Sunday was spent toiling away in the garden.  Between us my husband and I got fruit trees planted, the lawns mown, some edges tidy, cut back trees, converted a steel drum to a broiler chicken coop and planted out some seedlings.

When we brought our house in Te Kauwhata 6 months ago it had been neglected.  Over grown plants, weeds everywhere and trees in need of shaping.  It seems to be taking a long time to get on top of things, but I have to remind myself that we're not in a race, I have 2 lovely little boys that take up a lot my time and we need to observe our garden over the coming seasons to decide what we need to do.  For example, we were going to chuck and plum tree in the garden last week - but after sitting back, just for 7 days, some lovely Hostas have raised their heads.  We would have destroyed them with the spade if we hadn't waited.

This is what my backyard looks like this afternoon - the sun is shining, a light breeze from over the hill and the roses filling the garden with an amazing smell.  Spring Bliss!

A persimmon tree in its new home and a lime tree waiting to be planted, now that the shabby
old camellias have been cut back

The vege garden is starting to put more and more on our table each month.
Looking forward to tomatoes over summer.

Good afternoon shade in the hottest part of the day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers