Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Peanut Butter

This is easy to make, cheaper than buying it off the shelf and healthier too.



Peanut Butter

1kg Peanuts
1/3 C Oil (I use sunflower or canola)
1t Salt - Optional

 Heat oven to 170C.  Roast peanuts in a tray for 20-25 minutes, shaking the tray every 5 minutes to turn the nuts and check if they are done.  You are wanting just a bit of colour - that said, you can roast to what ever taste you prefer.

Let the peanuts cool.  At this stage you can rub some skins off but I leave them all on, more taste, more fibre.  Put into a blender and wizz for a few minutes until chopped down to the size of sprinkles.  With the blender going add the oil a little at a time until you get a good peanut butter consistency.  Homemade won't be as smooth as shop brought stuff, you're after a more grainy consistency.  If you have blended the peanuts warm, keep in mind the mix will stiffen when it cools.  Add salt if you like, blend to combine then put into a jars.  If I make more than one jar I put the extras in the fridge.

1 comment:

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers