Friday, October 11, 2013

Home Made Spread

I am slowly trying to eliminate from our diets all the additives and junk that is in our food these days, I can't afford to buy organic, but I can live with that.

One thing we go through a lot of with cut lunches, toast and baking is spread.  For years I used margarine, but after learning what some of those numbered ingredients are I won't touch the stuff, and butter is expensive.  This recipe I found in a Wendyl Nissen book (Mothers Little Helper), I've changed the recipe a little so it spreads nicely out of the fridge.  I use it in place of butter for just about everything except pastry.

530g oil (use olive oil, sunflower, rice bran or a mix)
500g butter

Gently warm the oil on the stove, to blood temperature and remove from the heat.  Cube the butter and drop in to the oil. Mix and leave for 10 minutes and you should find the butter has just melted.  Stir well and when it's cool enough bung into the fridge.  Give it a whip every hour or so until it resembles table spread - put into a container and keep in the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh great!!! Oh and can you put up that peanut butter recipe? I don't even like peanut butter but I loved that one you made!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get it up when I make a batch this week - we're starting to scrap the bottom of the jar

      Delete

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers