Sunday, October 20, 2013

Free Range Work Out

I don't know where today went!  I had a couple of guests, helped to plan a fundraising menu for our local playgroup, then planted out marigolds, kale, broccoli and cauliflower in the garden.  Time for a sit down.

I was lazily planing out dinner from my 'A Free Range Life' cook book in the sun, watching my boys run a muck in the garden - I went inside to check for ingredients and glanced at the clock - Holy Heck!  It was 4:30pm and the kids would be begging for dinner by 5!

I didn't care if I was missing a few ingredients, dinner was decided right then and there, Tuna Puttanesca with what ever pasta I could find.  I put some water on to boil, grabbed some tuna and tinned tomatoes from the larder.  Went to grab pasta - there was none!  Okay okay... Um.... I can do this, I know how to make pasta by heart, I still had some time, so I grabbed some flour while I was there.  Frantically I measured out my flour, chucked in some fresh eggs from the garden and read over the Free Range Tuna Puttanesca as I kneaded.  I crammed 10 minutes of kneading into 5 - pushing, rolling, tearing, pulling and turning till I had the smooth ball I was after.  Pasta Dough resting, I checked the pantry, I was only missing 2 ingredients for the sauce (anchovies and capers), my 1 and 3 year old would probably pick around them anyway (I added these to my shopping list though for next time).


After a quick chop of garlic the sauce was on the heat, just as the water came to the boil.  I unwrapped the dough and whirred the pasta machine into action.  Within minutes fresh noodles were being stirred into rolling boiling water - the sauce was nearly ready, patsa cooking - and there he was.  "Mummy, I'm Hungry" says my 3 year old.  "I know buddy, it's nearly ready" I say pulling noodles from the pot. "NEEDLES!!" says my 3 year old, "I love needles mummy".

With instructions for washing his hands and to sit up to the table outside he trotted off to get ready for his 'needles'.  A stir together of noodles and sauce, a couple of minutes on the window sill to cool and dinner was ready.  My 1 year old had just started climbing up my leg (as he does when he's hungry) - I picked him up and took 2 bowls of fresh Fettuccine with Tuna Puttanesca to the garden.

Dinner was amazing.  So simple, so tasty (even with 2 things missing).  My 2 little boys devoured it, and just as the second batch of pasta was out of the pot Pappa Bear came home from work - his dinner didn't last long either.  Happy tummies all round.

I'm looking forward to trying out more recipes this week from my new cook book, A Free Range Life.  I never win anything, and this is even better, I was selected!  Selected to receive an exclusive preview copy of Annabel Langbein's new summer annual.  It's like a big special addition magazine, but no ads - Brilliant.  It's only $19.95 when it comes out on shelves so go grab one for the foodie in your life - you and your tummy won't regret it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers