Friday, October 11, 2013

Cheese and onion corn scones

Now I wasn't sure this was going to work - I haven't worked with corn flour much.  But after having home made corn tortillas a few times and loving the nutty taste it gives I thought I'd try broadening my use of the pale golden powder that's been hiding in my larder (it's not really a larder - it's the old hot water cupboard in my hall that I've filled with all my dry-goods).

To my surprise, golden fluffy scones resulted from my latest experiment - one I will remember when I have a glut of spring onions in my garden.  I think next time though, a handful of bacon bits would make them extra special.

You'll notice the cheese is only on the top - that's because I'm cheap.  Add a couple of handfuls to the mix with the spring onions if you're feeling generous.

Cheese and Onion Corn Scones


250g/2C Plain Flour
125g/1C Corn Flour (or maize flour)
Pinch of Salt
6t Baking Powder
1t Smoked Paprika, heaped
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
75g of Butter (I use my homemade spread - more on that later)

3 Finely Chopped Spring Onions
1 1/4 C Milk
Grated Cheese - cup of handfuls will do and what ever flavour you fancy

Set oven to 220 C on Bake
Mix the first 6 dry ingredients together then rub in the butter with your finger tips.
Toss the spring onions through the crumbly flour mix.
Time to get your hand very messy, pour in the milk and start mixing with your finger tips.  When it's starts to come together - STOP - wait about a minute while the corn flour soaks up a bit of the milk.  Now massage together a little then tip onto a floured board and chaff the dough a little until it forms a ball (chaffing is a very gentle knead - look it up if you want to get it right - just don't over work your dough) - flatten out onto a boad and get a sharp knife ready.
This part is important - cut your dough into pieces with downwards strokes and lift your knife our int the same direction, never saw or drag your knife through.  You want clean cuts so your scones can rise in the oven.
Put onto a floured baking try, spinkle with cheese and bake for 12 mintues.

If your dough is too wet when if comes to chaffing the mix - don't worry - just tip the wet mixed mess onto your floured tray, pat into a tidy disk with floured hands, sprinkle with cheese and bake for a little longer - a giant scone.  Cut into wedges and no one will ever know of your scone mishap.



1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh yummy!!! Like this one! And the photo's are so good!!! Making me very very hungry! Going to have to try this one out soon, I haven't had great success at scones but will do what you said and remember to weigh things out so the amounts are correct! Thank you for that! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers